Dr. Abdul Shaikh is a Director in PwC’s Health Industries Practice working with Federal health agencies, non-profits, healthcare entrepreneurs, health systems, and other commercial organizations to identify and develop essential capabilities in population health and precision medicine. He has a passion for helping organizations advance new and sustainable models for health data infrastructure, commercialize evidence-based digital health, develop and grow cross-sector partnerships, and advance innovative learning systems approaches for clinical and public health.
Abdul brings a seasoned perspective to his work grounded in extensive experience translating science-into-practice across the healthcare ecosystem. Prior to PwC, he led a program of health innovation research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) resulting in several ‘firsts’ where Abdul’s cross-agency leadership was recognized by the HHS Office of the Secretary for advancing public sector innovation. These include leading the first Federal pilot integrating and visualizing disparate health-related data, the first HHS innovation prize competitions, and the first NIH small business innovation grants for population health.
Abdul enjoys working with health innovation accelerators and incubators including the Health Datapalooza, Health Data Consortium, and HHS Innovation Council. A seasoned presenter and author, Abdul led a recent thought leadership series on open data innovation. He has also judged a number of healthcare innovation competitions, conducted peer reviews for scientific grants and publications, and mentored many digital health startups.
Education and Certifications
Ph.D. Health Behavior & Health Education, University of Michigan School of Public Health
M.Sc Health Promotion, University of Toronto School of Public Health
B.Sc Bio-Psychology, University of Toronto
- Shaikh, A., Mutscher, G. (2014-15). Health Data Consortium & PwC: Innovators in Health Data Series: http://bit.ly/1p8y5sq. Select publications follow:
- Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH: Insights from ONC – An Interview with Dr. Karen DeSalvo (June 22, 2015)
- Eric Topol, MD: Evolving Models for Data Ownership in Medicine (Feb 25, 2015)
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, Joe Selby, MD, MPH, Philip Bourne, PhD: From Research to Practice – New Models for Data-Sharing and Collaboration to Improve Health and Healthcare (May 28, 2014)
- Shaikh, A.R., Butte, A.J., Schully, S.D., Dalton, W.S., Khoury, M.J., Hesse, B.W. (2014). Collaborative Biomedicine in the Age of Big Data: The Case of Cancer. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(4): e101.
- Ricciardi, L. and Shaikh, A. Informing National Priorities for Research on the Use of Health IT to Support Patient Centered Communication and Care Coordination for Cancer, July 6, 2012: http://bit.ly/1ts8ZWc.
- Shaikh, A., Prabhu Das, I., Vinson, C., Spring, B. (2011). Cyberinfrastructure for Consumer Health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 40 (5): s91-s250.
Involvement with AcademyHealth:
- Committee Member - 2018 Health Datapalooza