Identifying low-value care is a necessary condition for reducing provision of such care to patients. Further, ensuring that metrics about low-value services are sensitive to patient’s values, goals, and preferences is essential. AcademyHealth, in partnership with the ABIM Foundation, has developed a set of priorities through engagement of multi-stakeholder groups to develop, test, and use measures of low-value care that are sensitive to patient’s values. This webinar will encompass discussion of the rationale and scope of the project, the prioritization methods, and implications of the prioritization endeavors for low-value care measurement. Participants will have an opportunity to weigh in, share their experiences, and ask panelists questions to help inform their work.
This webinar was funded through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Engagement Award Initiative (3409). The content does not necessarily represent the views of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), its Board of Governors, or Methodology Committee.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Understand the current state of the science for defining and measuring low-value care from a patient-centered perspective.
- Describe strategies to incorporate patients’ perspectives and values into existing and future measures of low-value care.
- Identify priority concepts for development, refinement, and testing of patient-centered measures on low-value care.
- Lisa Simpson, MB, B.Ch., M.P.H., FAAP, AcademyHealth
- Eve Kerr, M.D., M.P.H., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Center for Clinical Management Research
- Susan Edgman-Levitan, PA, The John D. Stoeckle Center for Primary Care Innovation, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Rosina Pradhananga, M.P.H., AcademyHealth
- Sameer Saini, M.D., M.S., Veterans Affairs Arbor Health Services Research and Development Center, University of Michigan
- Leslie Tucker, Independent Health Care Policy and Program Consultant
- Joe V. Selby, M.D., M.P.H., Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute