The Alice S. Hersh Emerging Leaders Award recognizes scholars early in their careers as health services researchers who show exceptional promise for future contributions. This award commemorates the dedication of Alice Hersh, the founding executive director of the Association for Health Services Research, and her commitment to supporting the field of health services research. For the purposes of this award, early career success and the potential for future impact may include a variety of achievements, including recognition and contributions to the field. The award will be presented at the Annual Research Meeting and the winner will receive complimentary registration and one night lodging to the conference.
We are no longer accepting nominations for the Alice S. Hersh Emerging Leader Award.
Eligibility and Nomination Criteria
- Nominees' first research appointments were no earlier than January 1, 2014. (Post-doctoral positions will be considered research appointments unless these years provided training necessary for entry into the field and the eligibility period may be extended for a nominee who has taken a formal leave of absence from their employer.)
- Nominees from a range of institutions (e.g. academic, delivery systems, government, other) are encouraged
- Nominations must include one letter of nomination (no more than two pages) that reviews the nominee's contribution to the field and specifies the date of the nominee's first research appointment
- Nominations must include the nominees' curriculum vitae
- Self-nominations are accepted
- Nominees and nominators must be members of AcademyHealth
- Demonstrates a high quality of research
- Demonstrates a developing portfolio of research likely to inform decision making in the future with an emerging and significant contribution to the field of HSR
- Demonstrates leadership ability among peers and colleagues, including mentorship for those new to the field
- Demonstrates commitment to translation of research into policy and practice
For awards related questions, please contact Troi Jones.