The need to develop experiential-learning opportunities in delivery system settings was expressed as a specific recommendation emerging from the HSR Summit on data and methods convened by AcademyHealth in 2009. The concept of a fellowship focused on delivery system science was also defined as a priority by the AcademyHealth HSR Learning Consortium (a forum for employers, educators, and student leaders interested in advancing training in HSR) in the Consortium’s 2011 strategic plan. AcademyHealth's strategic plan further emphasizes a commitment to advancing delivery system science.
The goal of the fellowship is to provide hands-on training and professional opportunities for highly qualified researchers with a background in health services research (HSR) or related fields to enhance analytic skills and ultimately increase the capacity of the HSR workforce.
The fellowship is guided by an advisory committee which provides strategic direction for the fellowship and plays a key role in selecting Fellows.
The fellowship is a full-time, year-long position that takes place on site. While level of support and benefits will be determined by individual host sites, the minimum level of support will reflect National Research Service Awards stipend guidelines.
Fellowship placements are slated to start in Fall 2020.
New: Read what our fellows are saying about their experience in the DSSF program.
Current Application Cycle
The 2020 application cycle is closed.
To learn more, contact us a firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Cohort Host Sites
- Geisinger Health System: Danville, PA
- Kaiser Permanente Northwest: Portland, OR and Southern Washington
- MedStar Health Research Institute: Washington, D.C.
- Montefiore Medical Center: Bronx, NY
- University of Chicago Medicine: Chicago, IL
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) and Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D): Various locations
Read the host site descriptions here.
- Mastering Health Care Improvement: Lessons Learned from AcademyHealth Delivery System Science Fellows
By Drs. Audrey Johnson, Maria Yefimova, Claire E. O’Hanlon, & Savyasachi Shah
- Read the 2019 DSSF Fellows Press Release
Drs. Jason R. Brown, Caroline Madrigal, Raymond Van Cleve, and Shira Winter recently began their year-long paid, postdoctoral Fellowship at four of the nation’s leading health systems
- AcademyHealth’s Delivery System Science Fellowship: Training Embedded Researchers to Design, Implement, and Evaluate New Models of Care
Journal of Hospital Medicine | July 2017
- How the Delivery System Science Fellowship Helped Advance My Career
By: Shayna Henry, Ph.D., 2014 Delivery System Science Fellow
For additional information on the Fellowship, please click the following links below.