The need to develop experiential-learning opportunities in delivery system settings was expressed as a specific recommendation emerging from the HSR Summit on data and methods convened by AcademyHealth in 2009. The concept of a fellowship focused on delivery system science was also defined as a priority by the AcademyHealth HSR Learning Consortium (a forum for employers, educators, and student leaders interested in advancing training in HSR) in the Consortium’s 2011 strategic plan. AcademyHealth's strategic plan further emphasizes a commitment to advancing delivery system science.
The goal of the fellowship is to provide hands-on training and professional opportunities for highly qualified researchers with a background in health services research (HSR) or related fields to enhance analytic skills and ultimately increase the capacity of the HSR workforce.
The fellowship is guided by an advisory committee which provides strategic direction for the fellowship and plays a key role in selecting Fellows.
While level of support and benefits will be determined by individual host sites, the minimum level of support will reflect National Research Service Awards stipend guidelines.
Current Application Cycle
- Application Cycle Opens: Monday, October 8, 2018
- Application Cycle Closes: Tuesday, January 14, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. ET
To learn more, contact us a firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Cohort Host Sites
- Atrius Health-Harvard Medical School Department of Population Medicine at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute: Boston, MA
- DentaQuest Institute: Columbia, MD
- Geisinger Health System: Danville, PA
- Kaiser Permanente Northwest: Portland, OR and Southern Washington
- MedStar Health Research Institute: Washington, D.C.
- New York University Langone Health: New York, NY
- Northwell Health: Hempstead, NY
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus and the Data Science to Patient Value Initiative: Denver, CO
- U.S. Department of Defense Military Health System Health Services Research: Falls Church, VA
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) and Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D): Various locations
- Read the 2017 DSSF Fellows Press Release
Drs. Michael P. Cary, Kunhee Lucy Kim, Hyewon Lee, and Liron Sinvani recently began their fellowships at four of the nation’s leading health systems.
- AcademyHealth’s Delivery System Science Fellowship: Training Embedded Researchers to Design, Implement, and Evaluate New Models of Care
Journal of Hospital Medicine | July 2017
- How the Delivery System Science Fellowship Helped Advance My Career
By: Shayna Henry, Ph.D., 2014 Delivery System Science Fellow
For additional information on the Fellowship, please click the following links below.