Moving Patient-Centered Care Forward: How Do We Get There?
This meeting summary outlines a diverse set of comments about factors that can inhibit or encourage patient-centered care, and identifies a number of strategies for strengthening the patient-centeredness of the health care system, now and into the future.
Supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), AcademyHealth convened meeting participants whose comments grouped into six major areas of discussion and related actionable strategies. Ideas outlined in the full meeting report include the need to:
- Strengthen training opportunities for providers, patients, and caregivers
- Improve the diversity of the health care workforce
- Engage community members as partners in patient care
- Keep patients at the center of innovations in service delivery
- Improve the transparency of care and costs
- Invest in implementation research