This series builds on an overview of mixed methods research provided by Dr. Sofaer for AcademyHealth's Public Health Systems Research program.
System Requirements: The latest version of Adobe Flash Player is required to view these on-demand seminars. Download Adobe Flash Player for free.
Using Mixed Methods Appropriately and Rigorously Part I: Study Design and Data Collection
By the end of Part I of the series, participants will be able to:
- Identify the creation of strong research designs in mixed methods research
- Make decisions about the variables, topics, and research samples that are most appropriate for different data collection methods
- Describe the use of mixed methods in the development of high quality survey instruments
- Describe how to take advantage of quantitative data in designing the collection of qualitative data, and vice-versa, with particular attention to issues of sampling and measurement
Using Mixed Methods Appropriately and Rigorously Part II: Data Analysis and Interpretation
By the end of Part II of the series, participants will be able to:
- Describe how to analyze qualitative data most rigorously, using coding, inter-coder reliability testing, computer software programs, and the creative use of queries
- Describe how to combine the presentation of results from both quantitative and qualitative arms of mixed methods studies for maximum effect
- Identify and acknowledge the limitations of particular research studies using mixed methods, the steps possible to address those limitations, and the implications of limitations for the interpretation of data