AcademyHealth, the professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers, policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders, is currently seeking a Research Associate to provide substantive, analytic, and administrative staff support to a major initiative. The Paradigm Project is a concerted, collaborative effort that is using the tools of “design thinking” to increase the relevance, timeliness, quality, and impact of health services research (HSR). Convened by AcademyHealth, and funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the project is designing and testing in the way HSR is conducted and used to ensure the field realizes its full potential to improve health and the delivery of health care.
The ideal candidate is highly organized, a self-starter, great writer and eager to take on new challenges. Early career professionals with three to five years of substantive work experience in a health care policy or research setting are encouraged to apply.
- Developing and applying substantive knowledge of the institutions and context in which health policy is created, health care is delivered, public and population health is pursued, and research is undertaken to support these efforts.
- Working on a team to support a variety of programmatic activities including conference calls, webinars, in-person meetings, including agenda development, presenter coordination and materials preparation.
- Summarizing quantitative and qualitative research and analysis in written, oral, and visual formats.
- Conducting comprehensive literature reviews using electronic databases and synthesizing findings.
- Assisting in the production of policy papers, briefs, summaries and reports for distribution, including writing and editing.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with various stakeholders and consultants.
- Updating content and managing the program website and other electronic dissemination vehicles.
- Assisting in the development of new programs and projects, including drafting proposals, and assisting in the implementation of those projects.
- Masters degree in health policy, public policy, economics, public health or related field from accredited college or university including training in quantitative and qualitative analytic methods.
- Three to five years of substantive work experience in health policy, public or population health, health care, health services research, and/or science policy.
- Mature, adaptable, resourceful, detail-oriented individual able to work independently and with a team.
- Creative, strategic thinker; able to recognize/take advantage of opportunities.
- Professional interest in health policy issues.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including demonstrated ability to efficiently plan, organize, and manage complex, multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision or direction.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Previous experience with “design thinking” or “human-centered design” would be helpful, but not required.
This is a Level 3 position. The salary range is $60,000 to $68,000.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, resume, analytical writing sample and three references (with phone numbers and emails) to Human Resources, AcademyHealth, 1666 K Street NW, Suite 1100, Washington, DC 20006. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AcademyHealth will provide all employees and applicants for employment with equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under the District of Columbia Human Rights Act or Federal Law. We ensure non-discriminatory practices in all matters relating to recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, and all treatment on the job.
Diversity is an integral part of our organizational culture. For that reason, we seek to maintain staff diversity at all levels; and to provide an inclusive environment that embraces and values diverse ideas, talents and experiences. We will demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, the differences within our personal, professional, and business relationships on behalf of AcademyHealth.
AcademyHealth offers a collegial work environment, countless professional development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.