As the centerpiece of the project, AcademyHealth convened more than 50 individuals from a variety of backgrounds for a two-day workshop in April 2014 to discuss a series of papers that looked to fields inside and outside of health care for ideas about how to make research more relevant and accessible. In particular, the project drew from political science, global health, our understanding of how adults learn, the experience of using dramatic improvisation techniques to help scientists communicate better, and learnings from public relations and science museums programs about how to engage the public effectively.
Brian Southwell, Ph.D., and Catherine Mulbrandon, M. Des., provide insight about the Lessons Project Workshop, held in Washington, DC in April 2014.
AcademyHealth's report highlighting key findings from the commissioned papers and workshop discussion is available here: Moving Health Services Research Into Policy and Practice: Lessons from Inside and Outside the Health Sector.
The following background papers were commissioned as part of this project. Those without hyperlinks are under review for publication in academic journals. Links will be added upon publication:
- Barker PM, Reid A, Schall MW. A Framework for Scaling up Health Interventions: Lessons from Large-scale Improvement Initiatives in Africa. Implementation Science. 2016 Jan 29; 11(1): 1-11.
- Gold M. Translation and Dissemination of Health Services Research for Health Policy: A Review of Available Infrastructure and Evolving Tools. AcademyHealth, April 2015.
- Related commentary: Gold, MR. Critical Challenges in Making Health Services Research Relevant to Decision Makers. Health Services Research. 2015; Dec 9. 51(1): 9-15.
- Merriam S, Aumiller B. Adult Learning Perspectives for Health Services Researchers.
- Moore S, Fischer I, Havranek E. Translating Health Services Research into Practice in the Safety Net.
- Nisbet MC. Rethinking the Translation and Dissemination Paradigm: Recommendations from Science Communication Research for Health Services Policy Debates. AcademyHealth, April 2015.
- Peterson MA. When and How Health Policy Research Matters: A Political Science Perspective.
- Shugart E, Selvakumar M. Translation and Dissemination of Health Services Research for Health Policy: Key Insights from Museum Studies. AcademyHealth, April 2015.
- Smith B, Smith S. Engaging Health: Health Research and Policymaking in the Social Media Sphere. AcademyHealth, April 2015.
The Lessons Project was supported by Kaiser Permanente and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.