The 2017 Annual Research Meeting featured two lively, thought-provoking plenary panels. If you missed the panels or were unable to attend the conference, now is your chance to hear from thought leaders and experts in the field about some of the pressing issues facing health services research and its impact on the health of individuals and communities.
Opening Plenary: Health Policy After the Election: What Can We Expect? What Will Be the Role of Evidence?
In this plenary session, experts with experience inside and outside state and federal policymaking discuss what is happening with various dimensions of health care and science policy. The panelists reflect on their views on the role of evidence in policy decision-making now and in the future.
- Moderator: Joseph W. Thompson M.D., M.P.H., Arkansas Center for Health Improvement, UAMS College of Medicine, UAMS College of Public Health
- Panelist: Joseph R. Antos, Ph.D., American Enterprise Institute
- Panelist: Adaeze Enekwechi, Ph.D., M.P.P., McDermott+Consulting, George Washington University - Milken Institute School of Public Health
- Panelist: Reed V. Tuckson, M.D., F.A.C.P., Tuckson Health Connections, LLC
Lunch Plenary: Responding to Crises: The Role of Resiliency in Communities and Health Care Systems
This plenary session examines the lessons we are learning about the role of resiliency and preparedness in helping communities and local health systems effectively respond to crises in the context of increases in catastrophic weather and terrorism events. This discussion explores how these crises have a disproportionate impact on impoverished communities and communities of color, bringing an equity and social determinants lens to the conversation.
- Moderator: Karen B. DeSalvo, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under the Obama Administration
- Panelist: Anita Chandra, Dr.P.H., M.P.H., RAND Justice, Infrastructure, and Environment, and RAND Corporation
- Panelist: Nicole Lurie, M.D., M.S.P.H., Indian Health Service
- Panelist: Herminia Palacio, M.D., M.P.H., Health and Human Services - City of New York, Office of the Mayor
The video begins with an address by the 2017 ARM conference chair and the presentation of the Distinguished Investigator Award and the Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award.
- Conference Chair: Darrell Gaskin, AcademyHealth Board of Directors, Johns Hopkins University
- Distinguished Investigator Award: John Ayanian, University of Michigan
- Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award: Julia Adler-Milstein, University of Michigan